The Kolumba (previously Diözesanmuseum, “Diocesan Museum”) is an art museum in Cologne, Germany. It is located on the site of the former St. Columba church, and run by the Archdiocese of Cologne. It is one of the oldest museums in the city, alongside the Wallraf-Richartz Museum.
Until 2007 it was located near Cologne Cathedral. Its new home, built from 2003–07, was designed by Peter Zumthor and inaugurated by Joachim Meisner. The site was originally occupied by the romanesque Church of St. Columba, which was destroyed in World War IIand replaced in 1950 by a Gottfried Böhm chapel nicknamed the “Madonna of the Ruins”. The new structure Zumthor built for the museum now shares its site with the ruins of the Gothic church and the 1950s chapel, wrapping a perforated grey brick facade like a cloak around both, and also around the museum.
- Architect Peter Zumthor
- Built in: 2007
- Location Cologne, Germany