A small concrete chapel built by local farmers on the edge of a field. Concrete is cast around a group of 120 tree trunks, cut at a local forest, and then slowly burned. The meticulous arrangement of the trees teardrop or leaf created the oculus that provides the only direct light to the small dark space.
The field chapel is dedicated to Swiss Saint Nicholas von der Flue (1417-1487), known as Brother Klaus. It was commissioned by farmer Hermann -Josef Scheidtweiler and his wife Trudel and largely constructed by them, with the help of friends and craftsmen on one of their fields above the village.
- Architect Peter Zumthor
- Built in: 2007
- Location Mechernich, Eifel, Germany